Wick and Candle Care Guide
We all love a beautifully scented candle and what it does for our memory and emotions. Not only is lighting a soothing candle scent enjoyable and relaxing, it also creates the perfect ambiance and adds the most attractive decor to your home. It's a WIN WIN ! A trimmed wick means a clean burning candle. It's simple and it allows you to enjoy your best candle from beginning to the end.
Now let's get started on the easy steps you need to take.
- The most crucial burn is your first burn. When burning for the first time, burn for at least 2-3 hours to ensure you have a full melt pool on the top layer of your candle, this is now called "memory burn". When you are ready to light again your candle will continue to melt evenly. Good rule of thumb is 1 hour for every inch in diameter. Example, you should burn your 3" wide opening candle for 3 hours on the 1st burn.
- If the top layer is not melted completely, the candle may not burn all the way down on your 2nd burn and you may notice a tunnel in the middle of your candle , this is called "tunnelling".
- What to do if you have a tunneled candle? You can heat up the side edge of your candle jar to melt the wax sticking to the side. A hair dryer should work or even better a heat gun and disregard the melted wax in a disposal container. Your wick should now be at 1/4" so try re-lighting your candle again after completely cooled. Try placing your candle on a candle warmer and just enjoy the scent.
- Our Candles are made with a para soy wax blend and also 100% Pure Soy Wax.
- All our candles are made with lead & zinc free wicks which ensures a healthier and cleaner burning product
- Trim your wick to 1/4" each time you burn your candle while wax is solid and Candle has cooled. ( No need to trim your wick on the first burn). After you extunish your wick, remove any carbon built up or that pesky mushrooming sitting on the top of your wick. Trim off and throw away and your ready to re-light again. Don't forget to remove any debris that may be in your candle as you would not want this floating in your beautiful scented candle as this is flammable and may spark.
- Never leave a burning Candle unattended. Are you ready to extinguish your candle? Smother your candle instead of blowing out your candle and releasing that black smoke in the air. Smother it with a non-flammable cover. Scents by Shaizy Candles comes with a lid that is approved for heat resistance and can smother your flame inside your candle jar.
- When you see black smoke and a high flame, this means you need to start caring for your wick. Make sure to treat yourself with a cute Wick Trimmer that also looks fab on your coffee table.
- Trimmed wicks help avoid the emission of black smoke for a cleaner burn with less smoky residue.
- Warning: Keep out of reach of children and pets and keep away from flammable objects. Burn on a heat resistance surface.
- Should you see any black reside inside the candle jar, just wipe the inside jar with a dry paper towel and that's it (make sure your candle has been extinguished).
- All our jars are reusable jars and can be cleaned out and used for storage or decoration.
- Any candles will smoke if the wicks are not trimmed
- Check your wick and ensure your wick does not curl downward into the wax. This will cause the candle to not light properly with a high flame that will make your candle unattractive. We need that wick pointing upward so you are able to continue enjoying. A toothpick can help you adjust your cooled wick in the upward position and remove any debris that could of fallen into your wax.
- It's time to stop burning your candle when there is less than 1/4" of wax at the bottom of your jar. We know, it is a sad moment when your favorite scent is finished. But wait..... then you have the excitement of lighting a brand new candle.
- As much as you will love the smell and would like to eat the candles- we ask that you do NOT eat them! Trim your wick!
- Scents by Shaizy cannot guarantee you will not have any issues with your candles if not properly cared for. Feel free to contact us should you have any questions. We love hearing from you.
- Return back to homepage